On Friday I went to Vogan, a small town north of Lome. My family stayed at home while I went with Mrs. Mariza (who is helping in a medical clinic). I visited Nancy, a girl I had gotten to know a few weeks ago. She speaks English and is 17 years old. But she doesn't look it. She has a sister, named is Joycelin. She's 10 years old.On our way we saw a taxi, which had two live cows as passengers. At one point the cows went mad in the vehicle and the people tried to hold them down. Take a look at the taxi. Noticing anything unusual?
Nancy and her sister took me to the weekly market. We saw lots of gross stuff like dead snakes, chameleons, hyena and monkey heads, which people use for their religion. I learned that the voodoo religion started in Togo and Benin, before it traveled to America.
At the market I had to greet everybody, cause I stood out. I learned to say "yes" in Ewe, the local language. As I was greeting a woman with her little boy (no older than Sydney) everybody started to laugh. Then, I just had to ask "what was so funny?" Nancy told me, that I had just agreed to marry the little guy.
Oh dear!I forgot to take a picture of my friends (how awful is that)? But I did get one of two pigs on a bicycle.
While we were at the market the sun was really hot and I had forgotten to put on sunscreen. So, no sunscreen + African sun = sunburn!
I'm pretty miserable right now. I hope I can sleep tonight.
Elena
No comments:
Post a Comment